Hollywood Stars, Grassroots Activists, State Senator, Mayor & Major Organizations Ask Gov. Newsom to Fully Inspect Aged Diablo Canyon Nuclear Unit One Before it Re-Fuels
Hollywood Stars, Grassroots Activists, State Senator, Mayor & Major Organizations
Ask Gov. Newsom to Fully Inspect Aged Diablo Canyon Nuclear Unit One Before it Re-Fuels
Contact: Mimi Kennedy (315) 246-7333; Harvey Wasserman (614) 738-3646 – firstname.lastname@example.org; Myla Reson (310) 663-7660 – email@example.com
Dear Gov. Newsom,
We join hundreds of other Californians, including Sen. Ben Allen and San Luis Obispo Mayor Heidi Harmon, who are calling, writing, faxing and e-mailing, asking that you take action at Diablo Canyon to protect our safety and economic future. Under PG&E’s current bankruptcy and criminal proceedings, your position gives you wide ranging powers to act.
Diablo Unit One is now shut for refueling. We feel that given the evidence of embrittlement, it is very important to halt the loading of new fuel into the reactor until the public resolution of seven critical issues:
- Diablo One was last tested for EMBRITTLEMENT in 2003; it can now be easily tested while Unit One is shut.
- Diablo One’s key components must be tested for CRACKING, easily done now with ultra-sound.
- PG&E has DEFERRED ITS MAINTENANCE at Diablo since at least 2010.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission site inspector Michael Peck, among many others, has doubts that Diablo can withstand a credible earthquake.
- Serious questions remain about how PG&E intends to handle Diablo’s RADIOACTIVE WASTES.
- US Rep. Salud Carbajal has joined many others in questioning the COMPETENCE of the bankrupt, criminally-convicted PG&E to manage these two very large reactors in his home district.
- Studies show Diablo’s POWER IS NOT NEEDED, and in fact impedes the use of renewables here in California.
We ask that BEFORE DIABLO ONE REFUELS you subject these and other critical issues to open public scrutiny. The decision on Diablo’s future must be made by you in conjunction with the Legislature, the CPUC, state agencies, the courts and the public.
We thank you very much for giving this your serious consideration. We feel this is an exciting and crucial opportunity for you to continue your groundbreaking leadership in bringing more safety, responsibility, and wise energy policy to all Californians. Let us keep showing the way to a safer (and more sustainable) energy future.
– – – –
Signatories (partial list):
Jodie Evans, CODEPINK
Dr. Helen Caldicott
Dianna Cohen, CEO & Co-Founder, Plastic Pollution Coalition
Martin & Janet Sheen
Keaton & Eliza Simon
Ed Begley, Jr.
John Densmore, Drummer for the Doors
Dana Gluckstein, Chair People for A Safe Future
David Krieger, President Nuclear Age Peace Foundation (NAPF)
Pamela Conley Ulich, former Malibu Mayor
Dr. Peter Alsop
Alan Minsky, PDA
– – –
Separate petitions, resolutions & other supporting letters & documents are from:
Topanga Town Council
San Luis Obispo Mothers for Peace
Americans for Democratic Action (Los Angeles)
Progressive Democrats of the Santa Monica Mountains
Pacific Palisades Democratic Club
Santa Monica Democratic Club Executive Board
The Officers of the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party
The Los Angeles County Democratic Party
Culver City Democratic Club
People Demanding Action Campaign:
1,725 Letters Sent
85 phone calls
Facebook Ad Campaign:
Video Views: 56,101
Join Us at MoveOn.org: 4,372; signees: 1,017
Twitter campaign: #TestDiablo